The following is a short excerpt from Odette Nightsky’s book The Bridge Between Two Worlds: The Shaman’s View of Schizophrenia and Acute Sensitivity. This excerpt has been re-published with consent from the author.
- Respect your integrity and facilitate your own decision-making.
- Humbly acknowledge a force greater than them.
- Leave you feeling loved and inspired.
- Say that many paths lead to truth and expanded consciousness.
- Provide concisely stated information specific to your situation.
- Offer you counsel that challenges you and causes you to overcome personal limitations.
- Serve those they can serve in a humble yet strong and dedicated way.
- Have good manners, treat you respectfully and contact you in times and places that are comfortable for you.
Higher Guides Don’t:
- Claim they know what’s best for you.
- Arrogantly claim they are the ultimate source of wisdom.
- Leave you feeling powerless and dependent.
- Say that there is only one path that is their path.
- Speak in vague spiritual cliches that have little specific content.
- Flatter you and support you in negative emotional, mental, and physical patterns.
- Try to create a following for themselves.
- Have bad manners, intrude on you at awkward times, or abuse you in any way.
- Tell you that you are the only pure soul that can save this earth.